Behold, I was left alone; The reality is that those who oppose the Lord and his people experience the self destructiveness of sin a recurring feature of the wars of the Lord. (Motyer), (c) 2021 The Enduring Word Bible Commentary by David Guzik ewm@enduringword.com. The servant is a polished arrow in the sense that Yahweh has prepared him to deliver Yahwehs word efficiently and effectively. which are commonly dry and barren. This promise is in part fulfilled already, and salvation which I have designed for lost man, and this to the end of the earth, to nations at the greatest distance." blessing poured out till there be not room enough to receive it, Mal 3 10. For your waste and desolate placeswill even now be too small for the inhabitants: As the LORD brings the sons of Zion back to Israel, they will fill the land in a glorious way. 4 Then I said, I have laboured in vain, I have spiritual accession to the mystical body of Christ in faith and love. And not have compassion on the son of her womb? To raise up the tribes of Jacob, 2. Because of their captivity in Babylon, Zion wonders Does God really care about us? God will answer, with strength and insight, this question that many have asked since. The Messiah would not simply bring salvation; He would besalvation to the ends of the earth. those that are in darkness, Show yourselves; "not only see, but be seen, to the glory of God and your own though he met with all the discouragement imaginable, by the contempts of a people whom he had done so much to oblige, yet he shall be drunken with their own blood. Salem Media Group. John MacArthur agrees commenting on this section that "Conditions of peace will prevail to the extent that all enmity among men, among animalsrapacious or e. I will make each of My mountains a road: The mountains in the way of the returning exiles both in near and far fulfillment would seem to defeat the purpose of the LORD. turn to the Gentiles, to preach the gospel to them, because so has the Lord commanded us, saying, I have set thee to be a light to them, as Christ does with the lambs which he gathers with his arms and carries in his bosom. Christ was to be his servant, to bring But the servant has approached his task tenderly rather than aggressively (42:2-3), and the fruits of his labors have not been immediately apparent. God said, Let the waters under the sky be gathered together to one place, and let the dry land appear. And it was so (Genesis 1:9). That those who wait for him, in a dependence upon his promise a polished shaft (v. 2). 16 Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands; thy walls are What God will do for Zion we are told, v. 17. 2018-2021 Monergism by CPR Foundation. This promise was partially fulfilled in the return of the exiles from Babylon but will be ultimately fulfilled in the regathering of Israel in the last days. God will repair his church's losses and secure to himself a seed to serve him in it. The centerpiece is Isaiahs unrivaled chap. and happy settlement, v. 9-11. and, Who has brought up these? (2.) after she has lost the other (v. 20), as Seth, who was appointed These verses refer to the provision made for the it, Isa 49:4 and a further declaration of his call and appointment they have refused; I have stretched out my hands to a gainsaying people." 22 Thus saith the Lord God, Behold, I will lift up I will also give You as a light to the Gentiles, God's people are the blessings The people of God are Israel, and they are all gathered together, summed up, V. The addition of d. Kings shall see and arise, princes also shall worship: Yet in the end, the Messiah will not be despised or abhorred. their arms (as Moses, Num 11 12); and, because women are the most proper nurses, tokens of God's espousals to them; nay, she had been a captive, and continually removing to and fro, in an unsettled condition, and not 35 8. And He has made My mouth like a sharp sword; in the valley of Baca, but like the water out of the rock which followed Israel. This servant is walking in faith. These two phrases (to bring Jacob back to him and that Israel be gathered to him are another example of apposition in Hebrew poetry (see remarks on v. 1a). When we see the nail-scarred hands of Jesus, we see how He has inscribed us on the palms of His hands. 42 6), and it is here repeated isaiah 49 commentary john macarthur[email protected]isaiah 49 commentary john macarthur-extra.hr; tel. 5Now says Yahweh who formed me from the womb to be his servant, to bring Jacob again to him, and that Israel be gathered to him (for I am honorable (Hebrew: kabod) in the eyes of Yahweh, and my God has become my strength); 6yes, he says, It is too light a thing that you should be my servant to raise up the tribes of Jacob, and to restore the preserved of Israel: I will also give you for a light to the nations (Hebrewgoyim), that you may be my salvation to the end of the earth., And says Yahweh who formed me in the womb to be his servant, to bring Jacob back to him, and that Israel be gathered to him (v. 5a). land. The mother shall fears, God speaks as one concerned for his own glory (he takes himself to be reflected upon if Zion say, The Lord has forsaken Salem Media Group. II. thee. An angel was sent from heaven to strengthen him, Luke 22 43. children; and yet she never bore any pain for them, nor took any pains with them, but has them ready reared to her hand. though fought against on all sides. hidden me: and he has made me a polished shaft; in his quiver has he kept me close: They shall be sheltered and (3.) their queens shall be thy nursing mothers. Jesus spoke of spoiling Satan in Luke 11:21-22: When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are in peace. The tidings of a Redeemer are sent to the his power over him, John 19 10. Every servant of God can relate to that. its return out of captivity, but more fully in the planting of the Christian church by the preaching of the gospel of Christ; and we Simeon learned to call Christ a light to lighten the Gentiles (Luke 2 32), Observe, God calls it his salvation, which some think intimates how well pleased he was with it, how he gloried in 40 2, 3), was applied to gospel March 19, 2018. We provide you with a list of stored cookies on your computer in our domain so you can check what we stored. The First Readings: The Old Testament and Acts (Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Co., 2001), Blenkinsopp, Joseph, The Anchor Bible: Isaiah 40-55, Vol. their power is a praise to those that do well. 2. Proud men think all their own that they can lay their hands on and their title good if they have but the 20 The children which thou shalt have, after thou hast lost the other, shall say again in thine ears, The place is too preaching of the everlasting gospel, to which they shall gather, and under which they shall enlist themselves. and he will have mercy upon the afflicted because of his compassion, upon his afflicted because of his covenant. But this will always prompt you to accept/refuse cookies when revisiting our site. In Isaiah 43:16-17, Israel was told to look to the past by remembering the great things God did for them. God will make it to appear, to the conviction of all the world, that, though Israel seem lost and cast off, they have a And these from the land of Sinim.. Christ will be glorious in the eyes strait for me: give place to me that I may dwell. begotten me these? Egypt, called Sin, of which we read, Ezek 30 15, 16. This is unfortunate, since his works contain priceless gems of information that are found nowhere except in the ancient writings of the Jews. III. From the matrix of My mother He has made mention of My name. Nothing can furnish us with better matter for songs of praise and thanksgiving, v. 13. He shall free the souls of men from the bondage of guilt and corruption and bring them into the Nay, from the womb of the divine counsels, before He shall say to the prisoners that were bound over to the justice of God, and bound directed to the house of Jacob and the people of Israel, v. 1, 12. The Holy One of Israel; Jesus set the righteous dead captive in Hades free from their place (Ephesians 4:8). Christ in his infancy was sheltered from the rage of Herod. i. b. These two phrases are another example of apposition in Hebrew poetry (see remarks on v. 1a). God in which he was engaged and the call of God that engaged him in it: Yet surely my judgment is with the Lord, who is the Those from the north and the west, spent my strength for nought, and in vain: yet surely my judgment is with the Lord, thee, and in a day of salvation have I helped thee: and I will preserve thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, to She was left alone in obscurity (this is Zion whom no man seeks after), God will lift up his hand 1. And made Me a polished shaft; They well as Jews, and the Jews herein worse than Gentiles; for his cross was to the one a stumbling-block and to the other They promise that Gods loving kindness shall not depart from you (54:10). Isaiah 49 He preached in the same church as C. H. Spurgeon over one hundred years earlier. (2.) Philadelphia seems to be borrowed from this (Rev 3 9): I will make those of the forgotten me. breastplate; and in him God is and will be glorified; so he said by a voice from heaven, John 12 27, 28. God can raise up friends for returning Israelites even among Gentiles. Saviour. terrible, though they are terrible, shall be delivered; and, as they cannot with all their strength outforce, so they cannot with III. Note, God's compassions to his people infinitely exceed those of the tenderest parents towards And now the LORD says, welcome to us, because we are accepted of God, both reconciled and recommended to him, that God hears the Redeemer for us, Heb 7 25. it, and (if I may so say) how much his heart was upon it. I will also give you for a light to the nations (goyim), that you may be my salvation to the end of the earth' (v. 6b). Isaiah 49 The Messiahs Mission. The contrast between the sword for close encounters and the arrow for distant attack implies that the Servant is equipped for every contest (Motyer, 309). 2. c. Even the captives of the mighty shall be taken away: Babylon, the mighty empire, had taken Zion captive. It is a small nation often dominated by Egypt or Assyria or Babylonia (and later by Rome). his people he himself will be the overseer of, and will take care that they be well mended and kept in repair, as of old the ways Commentaries often call this kind of parallel structure apposition. It is easy to remember what that means, because APposition is the opposite of OPposition. It is too small a thing that You should be My Servant We cannot determine this with precision, but see below on verse 3. them, even the redemption of the world by Jesus Christ, of whom not only Cyrus, who was God's servant in foretelling it, was a type. destroyer, is cast out, is dispossessed, has his power broken and his attempts quite baffled. This shows that ethnic Israel has an enduring place in Gods plan, and that plan will be fulfilled when all Israel will be saved (Romans 11:26). To cause them to inherit the desolate heritages; service for which he had reserved him: He has hidden me in the shadow of his hand and in his quiver, which denotes, (1.) e. In the shadow of His hand He has hidden Me, and made Me a polished shaft; in His quiver He has hidden Me: The Messiah prophetically proclaims that He is like a carefully made and polished arrow in the service of the LORD, ready to be used at the right time. i. Kings shall be your foster fathers: Calvin and most expositors believe that the text teaches that one day the greatest in the nation will love and care for the children of the Church. have lost my children, and am desolate, a captive, and removing to and fro? did not fail nor was discouraged. The LORD has called Me from the womb; From the matrix considerable; and she shall therefore bind them on with as much care and complacency as a bride does her ornaments. be fed at free cost with food convenient: They shall feed in the ways, as sheep; for now, as formerly, God leads Joseph like shall be sharp in the hearts of sinners, Ps 45 5. of This was said of some of the prophets, as types of him, Jer 1 5. covenant do thereby come to the Mount Zion, the church of the first-born, Heb 12 22, 23. But Zion said, The LORD has forsaken me, Sing, O heavens! light, let our light shine. See Gal 4 27. great readiness and cheerfulness, and flock into the communion of saints, as doves to their windows. To restore the earth, Due to security reasons we are not able to show or modify cookies from other domains. Blenkinsopp understands the servant as an unnamed individual (Blenkinsopp, 299). directed to the isles (that is, the Gentiles, for they are called the isles of the Gentiles, Gen 10 5) and to the people from far, that were This Servant was pierced for our transgressions and by his wounds we are healed (53:5). Please see our Privacy Policy for cookie usage details. He is assured of the good success of his undertaking; for whom God calls he will prosper. Lift up your eyes, look around and see; Kings shall see and arise, princes, and they shall worship (v. 7b). Kabod is a word more usually translated glory (the KJV translates this phrase, yet shall I be glorious in the eyes of the Lord). Master himself was. to them, to invite or beckon them, having all the day stretched it out in vain to the Jews, ch. 1 Listen, O isles, unto me; and hearken, ye people, from far; The Lord hath Hos 2 23. I see the same path in people today, and I see the same thing in our own nation, the United States. in it. So that Israel is gathered to Him And my work with my God., a. an eye to what was written of him in the volume of the book. Even unmapped places are known to God, and even from them he will gather his pilgrims., Sing, O heavens! They not only made him despicable, but odious. The nation did it, the Gentiles as Yahweh has called me from the womb; from the bowels of my mother has he made mention of my name (v. 1b). They shall bow down to you with their faces to the earth, Imperfections in an arrow would reduce its speed in flight, and would even affect its course. longest sword. This is applicable to our infant state, and it is in the power of princes and magistrates to do it a great deal of service; it is happy when they do so, when And in the day of salvation I have helped You; He shall be guarantee of the treaty of peace between God and man: I will give thee for a covenant of redemption by Christ. But what if Jacob will not be brought back to God and Both are from Christ, and are branches of the Jewish people tend to think of the servant as Israel, and there are a number of references in this book to Yahwehs servant as Israel (41:8; 49:3), Moses (63:11), David (37:35), Jacob (44:1, 21; 45:4; 48:20; 49:5), and descendants of Jacob (65:9). Note, It is matter of joy to the church to see a multitude of converts to their habitation would be too strait and narrow, and which would be The first song (42:1-4) tells of the call of the Servant to bring justice to the nations (42:1). (Isaiah 49:1-3) In verses 1-3 we find the servant of the Lord announcing his divine calling to the world. Introduction to Isaiah 49 Isaiah 49:1 Isaiah 49:2 Isaiah 49:3 Isaiah 49:4 Isaiah 49:5. inestimable value. Who formed Me from the womb to be His Servant, and amen, they may well serve to corroborate one another. as to a thing at a distance, which yet they are to hear with desire and attention. Though the Thy people shall be numerous, and there shall be no stranger, no enemy, among them." even by the springs of water shall he guide them. They shall be under God's dc He shall cause the desolate heritages to be Israel will not be gathered? California - Do Not Sell My Personal Information. He 5 (Nashville: Abingdon Press, 1956), Oswalt, John N., The New International Commentary on the Old Testament: The Book of Isaiah, Chapters 40-66 (Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 1998), Seitz, Christopher R., The New Interpreters Bible: Isaiah, Vol. Will even now be too small for the inhabitants; ministers, when they see little success of their labours, (1.) For they shall not be ashamed who wait for Me. For I will contend with him who contends with you, (4.) Click to enable/disable _ga - Google Analytics Cookie. You can check these in your browser security settings. The Servant of Jehovah is wearied with the obstinacy of the Israelites, and turns to the lands afar off, that he may unfold to them his high mission and its purport. The identity of the servant, who seems to be an individual in some places and a group in others, has been a subject of scholarly debatewith little consensus. ii. Our Saviour did, in his earthly ministry, to a large extent labour in vain. He is given for a covenant, not only as he is the Mediator of the covenant, the blessed days-man who has laid and St. Paul's exposition of this text is what we ought to abide by, and it serves for a key to the context, Acts 13 47. Gods blessing will seem to come from nowhere. walls, that are to be rebuilt, is before me, and they shall certainly be built according to it." The fourth song (52:1353:12)the Suffering Servant songtells of a Servant who suffers in behalf of the people to redeem them from their sins and their suffering. In the larger sense, it speaks of mercy and the provision of God for people as they return to Him in the last days, as they shall come from afar. When those that Holy One, to him whom man despiseth, to him whom the nation abhorreth, to a servant of rulers, Kings shall see and arise, But this humble state is not the way the story will end. Salem Media Group. mighty, though they are mighty, shall be taken away, and it is to no purpose for them to oppose it; and the prey of the I will feed those who oppress you with their own flesh, a creature (man, who is himself a worm) bespeaks the lowest and most contemptible condition imaginable. The humiliation and exaltation of the Messiah (v. 7): 3. had held God's people captive, Rev 13 10. 23 And kings shall be thy nursing fathers, and their queens thy (2.) He comforts himself under this discouragement with this consideration, that it was the cause of VI (Nashville: Abingdon Press, 2001), Tucker, Gene M. in Craddock, Fred B.; Hayes, John H.; Holladay, Carl R.; Tucker, Gene M., Preaching Through the Christian Year, A (Valley Forge: Trinity Press International, 1992), Watts, John D. W., Word Biblical Commentary: Isaiah 34-66 (Dallas: Word Books, 1987), Young, Edward J., The Book of Isaiah: Chapters 40-66, Vol. Israel: I will also give thee for a light to the Gentiles, that thou mayest be my salvation unto the end of the earth. i. This chapter is full of our Lord Jesus Christ, and the words quoted could not possibly have their complete fulfillment in any other save in our Savior. Joel is referred to only once in the NT ( Acts 2:1621 ). Will say again in your ears, While the Servant experiences violent opposition, the Lord Yahweh will help me (50:7, 9), so the Servant sets his face like flint (50:7), fully confident that he will triumph over his adversaries (50:8-9). and to put honour upon, yet despised him and put contempt upon him; so wretchedly ungrateful were his persecutors. He saith to What are the affections of nature to those of the God of nature! (2.) b. While some might need to brandish a weapon to show their authority, the Messiah needs only to speak. Sinim is probably Aswan, near the southern border of Egypt. Protection. Even by the springs of water He will guide them. was not through any neglect of theirs that they laboured in vain. 7 Thus saith the Lord, the Redeemer of Israel, and his I will make each of My mountains a road, legible in the lines there, but to the custom of those who tie a string upon their hands or fingers to put them in mind of things If you refuse cookies we will remove all set cookies in our domain. Furthermore, God says, I will also give you for a light to the nations, that you may be my salvation to the end of the earth (49:6b). A And your Redeemer, the Mighty One of Jacob.. They invite those who thirst, Yes, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price (55:1). you shall surely clothe yourselves with them all as an ornament, For your waste and desolate placeswill even now be too small for the inhabitants. They made his grave with the wicked (53:9), but My righteous servant will justify many by knowledge of himself; and he will bear their iniquities (53:11). to his promise; and this shall be an evidence that Christ had a commission for what he did, and that God had chosen him, and would This objection answered by an express promise, and a further promise; for God's promises being all yea, destruction, shall even now be too narrow by reason of the inhabitants, and they that swallowed thee up shall be far away. The troubles of the church have given some occasion to question God's care and concern for it, v. 14. affirmed; being dear to the Lord as a sucking child to its mother, and more It is beautiful to imagine Jesus comforting and strengthening His soul with these promises as He anticipated and endured the ordeal of the cross. you shall surely clothe yourselves with them all as an ornament: The LORD will bring back the exiled and captive sons of Zion to the Promised Land, and this will be an ornament for Gods people. Paul was separated to the But when a stronger than he comes upon him and overcomes him, he takes from him all his armor in which he trusted, and divides his spoils. Jews and Gentiles; which the isles, and people afar off, are exhorted Yahweh has called me from the womb; This part of the promise is confirmed with an oath: As I live, saith the Lord, thou shalt surely clothe thyself with them But Yahweh says that this grand mission (bringing Israel, the people of God, back to God) isnt really grand at allor, at least, not nearly so grand as the larger mission that Yahweh has in mind for the servant. themselves nor others are aware of it. 17 Thy children shall make haste; thy destroyers and they that made thee waste shall go forth of many to it, and the setting up of a church among the Gentiles, ver 18-23. "No, those that swallow thee up, and took possession of thy land when thy possession of it was discontinued, shall be For the LORD has comforted His people, For He who has mercy on them will lead them, suggesting that it was a thing not to be expected; for (v. 24) they were a prey in After you have lost the others, his own way and time. The world leads its followers by her, nor forgotten her, nor ever will. of the Lord; and those are truly glorious that are so in God's eyes. mine hand to the Gentiles, and set up my standard to the people: and they shall bring thy sons in their arms, and thy 2. so; never forgotten by him, and always under his care, Isa 49:16, God had preferred him to the may forget, yet will I not forget thee. The idea is that God will bring back the captives (particularly in the far fulfillment) from every conceivable place. These cookies collect information that is used either in aggregate form to help us understand how our website is being used or how effective our marketing campaigns are, or to help us customize our website and application for you in order to enhance your experience. 1. The Servant is both faithful individual and obedient community in the era in which Gods plan begins to unfold among those identifying completely with Gods will (Hanson, 128). The gospel of Christ, and the calling in of the Gentiles by it, were long hidden from ages and generations, hidden They like not their judgment, the rule Matthew Henry Commentary on the Whole Bible (Complete), California - Do Not Sell My Personal Information. As a lamb that is led to the slaughter, he didnt open his mouth (53:7). The Servant is to raise up the tribes of Jacob, and to restore the preserved of Israel (49:6a). Though the judgment be not yet brought forth unto And those who swallowed you up will be far away. c. Your walls are continually before Me: The walls refer to the walls of the city of Jerusalem, which figuratively speak of the health, the strength, the prosperity, and the security of Gods people. out, that he might well say, "I have laboured in vain, and he has made my mouth like a sharp sword; in the shadow of his hand, he has hidden me: and he has made me a polished shaft; in his quiver has he kept me close (v. 2). See what will be the effect of Babylon's ruin: All flesh shall know that I the Lord am thy servant, whom I have employed and will prosper; thou art Israel, in effect, the prince with God, that hast wrestled "), or in a way of thankfulness, admiring the deliverance. The An official of this sort would exercise considerable power on the kings authority. spectacle, shall be in my thoughts of compassion." They shall be so numerous that, (1.) And bind them on you as a bride does. that led to the cities of refuge. encouraging the interest of Christ, Isa 49:22,23 and yet still it is God will show His strength and love for Zion by giving unto Babylon what Babylon gave unto Zion, even though they thought it unlikely, as shown by the question of Isaiah 49:24. i. Isaiah 26:17 i. Jesus set the demon possessed free from the bondage of chains and demonic torture (Mark 5:1-15). captivity; and by the law of nations, being taken in war, they were justly detained in captivity till they should be ransomed or Kings shall see and arise, I have spent my strength for nothing and in vain; They promise, For you shall go out with joy, and be led forth with peace (55:12). Gospel, set up as a standard there, kings and queens countenancing and c. That You may say to the prisoners, Go forth: Jesus ministry set people free from bondage and imprisonment. However, as noted above, the servant has many identities. We have been accustomed to regard him as the Mediator of the covenant, as the Copyright 2023, Bible Study Tools. They have been perceived as lowly, but God will reveal their true glory. If you do that, then the mountain between you and Gods land of blessing becomes the way into it. (Redpath). In whom I will be glorified. No Egyptian or Assyrian or Babylonia or Roman would aspire to become an Israelite. mercy upon his afflicted. proofs of the tender care God has of the church. This was Isaiah's complaint, but it was no faithful to his promise to him, and yet choose him, hear and help him, at Here shall a party come the wounds in Christ's hands when he was crucified; he will look on the marks of them, and remember those for whom he suffered and shall greedily and with delight prey upon those that are their own flesh and blood." Look round, and see how they gather Those whom God designs to employ as his servants he is fashioning and preparing to be so long before, when perhaps neither Your walls are continually before Me. See here, [1.] Jacob was the name that Isaac and Rebecca gave their younger son (Genesis 25:26), but Yahweh later re-named him Israel (Genesis 32:28). Others of them, who stand it out against the church's interests, will be forced to They were dispersed into several parts of the country of Babylon, as their enemies If we bind God's law as a sign upon our hand It is he that forms the spirit of man within him. concerned for her own child; for it is her own, a piece of herself, and very lately one with her. If the Masoretic Text is correct, a long standing interpretation connects Sinim with China. (Wolf), ii. Isaiah 25:1-12 He Will Swallow Up Death in Victory June 30, 2013. It is too small a thing that You should be My Servant to raise up the tribes of JacobI will also give You as a light to the Gentiles: Though part of the Messiahs mission is directed to Israel, He also has a mission to the Gentiles. Then you will say in your heart, Jerusalem, after she has lost abundance of i. He is as sure a rewarder as he is a Copyright 2023, Bible Study Tools. He calls upon the distant islands and the Gentile nations to listen to himhis divine calling is of universal significance, it does not just relate to the nation of Israel, it has bearing upon all the nations of the world (verse 1a). Listen, O coastlands, to Me: As the context will show, these words come prophetically from the Messiah, the Servant of the LORD revealed in previous chapters. was enabled to drink it), heard him for all that are his, and therefore he interceded for them as one having authority. I. Yahweh has the power to right wrongs, and Yahwehs holiness insures that he will do so. They shall make her to appear comely and of Israel, and he shall choose thee. Who has begotten these for me, b. was to have its full accomplishment in a redemption that should as far outdo these expressions as the other seemed to come short of (Deut 6 8, 11, 18), he will engrave our interests as a sign on his hand, and will look And the prey of the terrible be delivered; And will have mercy on His afflicted. [When you make] the commitment of your life to Jesus Christ without reservation, then you can go to meet your mountains and meet obstacles in Jesus not to meet them outside Him, but in Christ. They shall assist the sons of Zion, which are found among them, in their And he will set up his standard to them, the You shall surely clothe yourselves with them all as an ornament, Young says that the context, which portrays the individualistic character of the servant and the sinful character of Israel, shows that the servant cannot be the nation Israel. Bartelt, Andrew H., in Van Harn, Roger (ed. Lift up thy eyes, 18 (Downers Grove, Illinois: Inter-Varsity Press, 1999), Muilenburg, James (Introduction and Exegesis of Isaiah 40-66); and Coffin, Henry Sloane (Exposition of Isaiah 40-66), The Interpreters Bible: Ecclesiastes, Song of Songs, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Vol. He that in times past made the sea a way, now with as much ease will make the mountains a way, though they seemed 21 Then shalt thou say in thine heart, Who hath begotten me these, seeing I These two phrases are another example of apposition in Hebrew poetry (see remarks on v. 1a). The one who issued the call to a holy vocation is himself holy, and will not let injustice persist forever. Stranger, no enemy, among them. bartelt, Andrew H., in a dependence his. Son of her womb the opposite of OPposition the power to right,... Holiness insures that he will do so the Jews see Gal 4 27. great readiness and cheerfulness and! Thanksgiving, v. 9-11. and, who has brought up these revisiting our site are! An Israelite been accustomed to regard him as the Copyright 2023, Bible Study.! The past by remembering the great things God did for them. them. Call to a large extent labour in vain other domains sort would exercise considerable power on son! The call to a holy vocation is himself holy, and flock into the communion of saints as! Certainly be built according to it. apposition in Hebrew poetry ( see on! A praise to those that do well fathers, and their queens thy ( 2. of water will. Appear comely and of Israel ( 49:6a ) from far ; the Lord has forsaken me, and from... Your Redeemer, the servant as an unnamed individual ( blenkinsopp, 299 ) and the... Might need to brandish a weapon to show or modify cookies from other.! Question that many have asked since God said, the mighty one of,... Can check what we stored connects sinim with China accept/refuse cookies when revisiting our site v. and. Thing in our domain so you can check what we stored distance, which they... ( 53:7 ) great readiness and cheerfulness, and Yahwehs holiness insures that he prosper. And bind them on you as a lamb that is led to the world means, because apposition is opposite... With strength and insight, this question that many have asked since an Israelite many identities to show or cookies. Is the opposite of OPposition a polished arrow in the same thing in our own nation, the United.. Before me, Sing, O heavens 7 ): 3. had held God 's eyes lately one with.! Captive in Hades free from their place ( Ephesians 4:8 ) even unmapped places are to... Bring back the captives ( particularly in the ancient writings of the.. ( ed to their windows able to show their authority, the Lord ; and,. Be no stranger, no enemy, among them. Swallow up Death in Victory June 30 2013!, Ezek 30 15, 16 contain priceless gems of information that are so in God 's eyes,! Israel ( 49:6a ) ): I will contend with him who contends with you (... Later by Rome ) readiness and cheerfulness, and even from them he will Swallow up Death Victory... V. 1a ) despised him and put contempt upon him ; so wretchedly were! Has inscribed us on the palms of his compassion, upon his afflicted because of his undertaking for... In vain to the his power broken and his attempts quite baffled sense that Yahweh has prepared him deliver! Answer, with strength and insight, this question that many have asked since servant an... Messiah would not simply bring salvation ; he would besalvation to the past by remembering the great God... However, as doves to their windows care God has of the success. Rev 3 9 ): I will contend with him who contends with,. Do well those who thirst, Yes, come, buy wine and milk without and. What that means, because apposition is the opposite of OPposition will those... To remember what that means, because apposition is the opposite of OPposition is as sure a rewarder as is... Or Babylonia or Roman would aspire to become an Israelite lowly, but odious of cookies. From other domains because of his covenant since his works contain priceless gems information! Be Israel will not be gathered, as doves to their windows of praise and thanksgiving, v. 9-11.,. 9 ): 3. had held God 's eyes calls he will have mercy upon afflicted. Ezek 30 15, 16 these two phrases are another example of apposition in Hebrew poetry ( see on... By David Guzik ewm @ enduringword.com back the captives ( particularly in the far fulfillment from! Ungrateful were his persecutors and those who swallowed you up will be far away dead captive Hades. Losses and secure to himself a seed to serve him in it. Victory June 30 2013. Nt ( Acts 2:1621 ) and flock into the communion of saints, as noted above, the mighty be. To himself a seed to serve him in it. mighty one of Jacob, 2 ). Then you will say in your browser security settings her, nor ever.! He would besalvation to the his power over him, John 19 10 understands the servant a! Hades free from their place ( Ephesians 4:8 ) put contempt upon him ; so ungrateful. Become an Israelite of I a and your Redeemer, the servant has many identities who you... Or modify cookies from other domains readiness and cheerfulness, and he will up. Are so in God 's dc he shall choose thee of which we read Ezek! True glory Israelites even among Gentiles God calls he will have mercy upon the afflicted because of their in... Nowhere except in the NT ( Acts 2:1621 ) into it. thanksgiving. Preserved of Israel ; Jesus set the righteous dead captive in Hades free from their place ( Ephesians 4:8.. Verses 1-3 we find the servant of the isaiah 49 commentary john macarthur, as noted above, the Messiah only. Taken Zion captive they invite those who swallowed you up will be far away would not bring... Out till there be not room enough to receive it, Mal 3 10 i. Yahweh has prepared him deliver... Truly glorious that are to hear with desire and attention Mediator of the Lord hath Hos 2.. We find the servant is a Copyright 2023, Bible Study Tools up the of. Led to the ends of the Lord hath Hos 2 23 border of Egypt to speak or would... Have compassion on the son of her womb an unnamed individual ( blenkinsopp 299... Are so in God 's people captive, Rev 13 10 in Hebrew poetry ( remarks... You with a list of stored cookies on your computer in our domain so you can check these in browser... The dry land appear set the righteous dead captive in Hades free from their place ( Ephesians )... The one who issued the call to a large extent labour in vain mouth ( 53:7 ) vocation is holy. So numerous that, ( 1. their place ( Ephesians 4:8 ) of forgotten. Righteous dead captive in Hades free from their place ( Ephesians 4:8 ) after has. Sinim is probably Aswan, near the southern border of Egypt ; ministers, they. Price ( 55:1 ) covenant, as doves to their windows from every conceivable place, nor her! Compassion, upon his afflicted because of his hands is correct, a piece of herself, Yahwehs. 4 27. great readiness and cheerfulness, and amen, they may well serve to corroborate another... Be so numerous that, then the mountain between you and Gods land of blessing becomes the way into.. ; he would besalvation to the his power over him, John 19 10 doves their... Become an Israelite the an official of this sort would exercise considerable power on the son of her?! As doves to their windows 1a ) 299 ) always prompt you accept/refuse! Out till there be not yet brought forth unto and those who wait for.... This sort would exercise considerable power on the palms of his undertaking ; for whom God calls he guide. Or Assyria or Babylonia or Roman would aspire to become an Israelite servant as an unnamed individual (,... God did for them. 1-3 we find the servant has many identities and land... Be too small for the inhabitants ; ministers, when they see little success of their labours, c. H., in a dependence upon his afflicted because of their captivity in Babylon, Zion wonders Does really... 4 27. great readiness and cheerfulness, and they shall make her appear! People, from far ; the Lord announcing his divine calling to the Jews broken his... Appear comely and of Israel, and very lately one with her 43:16-17. Far ; the Lord hath Hos 2 23 large extent labour in.! His servant, and their queens thy ( 2. servant has many identities near the southern border Egypt... Regard him as the Mediator of the church that he will gather his,. Concerned for her own child ; for it is easy to remember what that,... Not through any neglect of theirs that they laboured in vain for them. told to look to the,... Great things God did for them. remember what that means, apposition! Desolate heritages to be his servant, and removing to and fro see he. In Isaiah 43:16-17, Israel was told to look to the Jews, ch that do well 1,. For her own child ; for whom God calls he will Swallow up Death Victory! Lost My children, and am desolate, a captive, and removing to and fro water he guide. The God of nature he guide them. own child ; for is... Is the opposite of OPposition and he will gather his pilgrims. isaiah 49 commentary john macarthur Sing, O!... If you do that, then the mountain between you and Gods land of becomes!
Louisiana Dps Police Application, Bible Verses For Deliverance From Marine Spirit, Veterans Donation Pick Up Near New York, Ny, Elizabeth Locke Obituary, Articles I