Early voting ends Nov. 3. State's Attorney County Courts Building 401 Bosley Avenue, Room 511 Towson, Maryland 21204 Reception Office Room 329 Hours Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Email statesattorney@baltimorecountymd.gov Phone 410-887-6600 TTY: 410-887-2799 State's Attorney Scott D. Shellenberger This has to be balanced with our efforts to pursue the assertive prosecution of crimes of violence to assure the public knows they can feel safe to live in this County and that they will be protected. I worked to remove a requirement of "resistance" by victims of a sexual assault. He has emphasized positive steps made in response to criticisms, such as increased testing of rape kits. Friday marked the final day of counting for mail-in and provisional ballots in Baltimore County. Shellenberger opposed the legislation. Violent crime, unquestionably, must be prioritized. One Republican, Al Nalley, ran unopposed. Nonpartisan. All Rights Reserved. But Mohler and other Shellenberger supporters also point to the influence of outside money that supported Leonards candidacy. The states attorney said he has supported what he considers reasonable criminal justice reform, and touted his long experience prosecuting crime and supervising dozens of attorneys. It appears that this has been accomplished. For the first time in a decade, Baltimore County States Attorney Scott Shellenberger (D) will have a Republican opponent to campaign against if he can beat Robbie Leonard (D) in the 2022 primary election. Law Clerks are an essential part of the office. I tend to be more moderate, said Clement, who moved back to Towson late last year, but there are good aspects to the progressive agenda of some chief prosecutors to incarcerate fewer nonviolent, low-level crimes. The more time that people had to learn about the differences between the two of us, the people chose me. While most attention Tuesday focused on the Republican and Democratic Gubernatorial races and the Baltimore City State's Attorney's race, others were heating up. I have done that throughout my term as State's Attorney. McDonough faces a misdemeanor theft charge in connection with allegations he stole a Badillo campaign sign in Parkville. . Haynes said he wants to add six to 10 more assistant states attorneys and would serve as an advocate for the criminal justice system if it needed additional judges or police officers. This is a place where I was well prepared when I first came into office and am even more prepared to continue to lead the office now, he added. Do voters want change? I have spent the majority of my career in public service, serving 14 years as a senior assistant state's attorney in the Carroll County State's Attorney's Office, and now working in the . Sign up to get the Maryland Matters Memo in your inbox every morning. At the May online meeting of the Southwest Baltimore County Democratic Club, Shellenberger confirmed hed met with the woman and didnt believe prosecutors could prove her case. [Baltimore Countys top prosecutor faces a progressive challenger in his first primary fight in 16 years. Leonard, who is secretary of the Maryland Democratic Party, ran on a progressive platform with the motto, Its time for a change., After the final results were announced, Shellenberger did not respond to a request for comment, but issued a statement through his campaign. Gubernatorial Election years are 2022, 2026, 2030, etc. On election day I got the most votes. Appellate administrative judge on the Administrative Review Board in the U.S. Department of Labor, 2019-2021. Some though have been settled. I always wondered, like, how is this states attorney a Democrat? HUNT VALLEY Baltimore County's incumbent state's attorney beat back an upstart primary challenger and will move on to the November general election. The Republican candidates are James Haynes, a retired attorney who previously worked as an administrative judge for the U.S. Department of Labor and at the state attorney general and public defender offices, and Deborah Hill, who has represented state employee retirees in a lawsuit challenging a reduction in their prescription drug benefits. Marlon Tilghman, a pastor and county resident, said this week. Attorney at the Law Offices of Peter G. Angelos from 1993-2006. Shellenberger said he has tried to run his office in a nonpolitical way. The criminals havent scored any more points, he later added. Baltimore State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby lost her reelection bid to defense attorney Ivan Bates in the Democratic primary after she was indicted by a grand jury on federal charges. Leonard said the incumbents opposition to local police reform policies mobilized him to challenge Shellenberger. (A 2019 audit had found rape kits werent tested in 78% of cases.). But he and his prosecutors have faced questions about their decision-making on charging perpetrators, particularly when the victim did not report an assault right away or was intoxicated when it happened. Returns were. I want to raise the level of professionalism in the office.. Theres a growing awareness that the criminal justice system as usual is not acceptable, said David Jaros, faculty director of the Center for Criminal Justice Reform at the University of Baltimores law school. She said prosecutors she worked with in the years since her assaults made her feel worthless and like she wasnt human, including mocking and blaming her. After early voting when people showed up for eight days, I got the most votes. Haynes was leading the race as ballots were starting to be counted Tuesday night. Leonard is the secretary of the Maryland Democratic Party. Printer Friendly Version. The democratic primary race for Baltimore County State's Attorney relies on thousands of outstanding mail-in ballots before a winner can be declared. A judge ruled in a hearing on Tuesday that the perjury and mortgage fraud trial for former Baltimore City State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby will remain in Baltimore despite attempts to move it. Four incumbents faced primary challengers. Throughout his career, Leonard said hes represented minors and adults and served on the public defenders government relations team, where he testified on bills in the legislature. Leonard conceded about 2:30 p.m. Friday afternoon. We also need to continue our efforts to demonstrate to all citizens that the justice system must continue in our efforts to be race neutral and assure that all are treated fairly. The district covering areas such as Overlea, Parkville, Rosedale and Towson drew five candidates, the most of any district. Now, for the first time in 12 years, Shellenberger faces a Republican opponent, Jim Haynes, an attorney and former Maryland assistant attorney general, on Election Day. I will continue to fight to get more resources to properly fund an office which can address all crime. Offers may be subject to change without notice. Daily Record Government Reporter We have, I believe, balanced the issues of prosecution and public safety very carefully, Shellenberger said. Black Lives Matter and issues related to mass incarceration have sort of gone mainstream as viable, relevant issues, Jaros said. Baltimore County States Attorney Scott Shellenberger has not had a Democratic primary challenger since he was first elected in 2006. Baltimore County States Attorney Scott Shellenberger has survived an aggressive primary challenge in a race that offered voters contrasting visions of what a top prosecutors priorities should be. Tracking prosecutorial decisions is difficult due to a lack of public reporting. He said crime and the fear of crime does not seem to be getting better. I have never shied away from pursuing police officers when they have committed crimes which can be proven. We continue to train and learn more to find the best way to pursue sexual assaults. He described that practice as unprofessional, stating that its wrong to mix public service with considerations of political loyalty. Acie Spencer, 55, said he voted for Shellenberger and other incumbents who he says have run their offices effectively. Incumbent Scott Shellenberger gained ground in the Democratic primary race for Baltimore County state's attorney as mail-in ballots are tallied, taking a narrow lead Friday over. Billionaire philanthropist George Soros is listed as the only contributor to the committee in the latest state campaign finance report, donating $884,000. The Legislature has decided that when the circumstances involve the death of an individual, that investigation will be by investigators attached to the Attorney General's Office. For those who are guilty and a Judge has decided the appropriate sentence, we cannot ignore and must be sensitive to the victims. Shellenberger, a Towson resident, will face Republican James A. Haynes in the November general election. That is about to change. 72. Were going to lose if we play defense, Haynes said. You can unsubscribe from these alerts at anytime. Both Shellenberger and Leonard have declined to discuss the changes in vote totals over the last week of counting. The. He said that 52 Baltimore County residents testified in favor of the legislation at a public hearing. Soros has funded progressive prosecutor candidates around the country. When faced with holding police accountable, how should prosecutors navigate investigating and potentially bringing charges against an agency the office works closely with? Working immediately to get an innocent person freed who has been wrongly convicted is probably the most important thing a prosecutor should do. News you can trust. Haynes, 72, of Rodgers Forge, is a retired administrative judge with the U.S. Department of Labor and a former state assistant attorney general. With in-person and early voting ballots tallied, Leonard held a narrow lead of 860 votes. On the final day of counting,. Our nonprofit news organization is made possible by, Select the type of alerts youd like to receive, Browsers such as Chrome, Safari, and Firefox, Get text messages from The Banner in urgent situations (message and data rates may apply). Leonard agreed that crime needs to be addressed and that residents feel unsafe. According to his most recent financial disclosure, he has around $22,000 in his campaign coffers. James A. Haynes. Baltimore Countys top prosecutor faces a progressive challenger in his first primary fight in 16 years. In Baltimore County, registered Democrats outnumber registered Republicans by a more than 2-to-1 margin. Shellenberger has said the office doesnt collect data around the number of criminal prosecutions, convictions or victim and perpetrator demographics making it challenging for observers to analyze outcomes. But this year, his 16th in office, he has faced the most sustained criticism of his career. Has Maryland gone too far, or far enough, when it comes to police reform? How crazy is that? he said. Copyright 2022 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. In the lawsuit, a woman accuses Shellenberger of sending police to her home to tell her to stop trying to pursue criminal charges against the men she said assaulted her. Leonard said his campaign that ended in a narrow defeat should be seen as a signal for change in the countys criminal justice system. The Baltimore Banner may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Of the cases where prosecutors brought charges, convictions were secured in 64% of the cases. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. Rogers Forge, Baltimore County. He announced in May that he is running for a fifth term. I am committed to fight for the victims and a hope for peace in their lives after my office has achieved justice for them. represented state employee retirees in a lawsuit, Progressive Groups Endorse Robbie Leonard for Baltimore County States Attorney, Reform Council Recommends Ending Policy of Automatically Charging Some Youth as Adults, Mireku-North Launches Challenge to Montgomery County States Attorney, Moore joins with dignitaries at wreath laying ceremony before inauguration as states first Black governor, Moore faces great expectations and the weight of history as he takes office, Ahead of Moores inauguration as first Black governor, another first reflects, As Moore is inaugurated, the Black leaders who backed him are as enthusiastic as ever, Dayvon Love: Lets kill the woke straw man argument, Biden speaks of redeeming Americas soul during visit to Martin Luther Kings hometown church, Political Notes: Four more for the Moore team, plus the roster of Black Caucus leaders and an MLK Day fair housing event, Former delegate pleads guilty to misconduct in office for misusing state funds to pay for Middle River cottage, Consultants tell work group cannabis sales in Maryland could reach $1B after its legal. Others vying for the GOP nomination were Henry Ciezkowski, Thilo August Albert Gluck, A. Scott Pappas and Kimberley Stansbury. He said he wouldnt discuss details because I dont think its fair to her, but alluded to what she told police and the timing of the report. Returns were incomplete Tuesday evening, with polls closing at 8 p.m. and a large number of ballots yet to be counted. Deputy States Attorney John Cox, who represented his boss, and Leonard were both present in the final hour of counting. BALTIMORE Although the Primary Election has come and gone, some races have yet to be called. Last updated: 08/24/2022 04:50:11 PM. He said the close primary made him realize that he needs to more frequently publicize some of the reforms that hes implemented including putting in place a marijuana diversion program and supporting the adoption of police body cameras. This concept that Im against everything and we have to throw everybody in jail I just think if people really dig into my record they would find that theres a lot there, he said. . While some dismissed Leonard as a long-shot candidate and were stunned by the initial results, other observers believed the contest would be close, especially toward the end of the campaign. But after researching the candidates platforms, she decided Leonards views on diverting some nonviolent, low-level offenses, like drug possession, from the criminal justice system aligned with her own. By late Friday afternoon, Shellenberger gained a 918-vote advantage over Leonard. Baltimore County voters have made their selections in primary races for states attorney, the County Council and county executive ahead of the November general contest. Haynes, 72, of Rodgers Forge, is a retired administrative judge with the U.S. Department of Labor and a former state assistant attorney general. According to a 2019 Baltimore Sun report, the Baltimore County Sexual Assault Investigations Task Force found that county police seldom tested evidence from sexual assault cases. Official 2022 Gubernatorial Primary Election Results for Baltimore County. WYPR - 88.1 FM Baltimore | On the other hand, Shellenberger pointed to his decision to prosecute Baltimore County Police Officer James Laboard on a charge of manslaughter in the death of Christopher Brown, 17, of Randallstown, though a jury came back with a not guilty verdict in 2013. After the Maryland Justice & Public Safety PACs financial support was disclosed, the incumbent said hed heard from voters who didnt think a billionaire who doesnt live in Baltimore County should be telling us who the states attorney should be, referring to George Soros, who pumps money into the national Justice & Public Safety PAC and dozens of similarly-named groups that support reformist candidates in local chief prosecutors races across the U.S. Baltimore Banner reporters Taji Burris and Sophie Kasakove contributed to this article. Leonard said that transparency and accountability mean prosecuting violent crimes where theres actual victims not quality of life offenses, like charges that stem from poverty or drug use. She hopes to see more transparency in case data, such as publicly available information to examine any trends around victim demographics or the outcomes of prosecutors review, she said. He unseated the two-term incumbent, Marilyn Mosby, in the Democratic primary and did not face a challenger in the general election. Shellenberger received 44,962 votes or 51% compared to Leonard's 42,847 votes, 49%. By, Wavelength: Baltimore's Public Radio Journey, One Day at a Time: In Recovery in Baltimore, Celebrating 20 Years of Commitment to Community. Learn more about supporting local journalism. Civil rights groups sued the county after last years redistricting process, alleging the plan unlawfully diluted Black residents votes. I accept that. Shellenberger takes issue with that, saying his office has prosecuted 19 police officers for various offenses. State's Attorney Republican Candidates - Vote for 1 In the Democratic primary, Shellenberger narrowly defeated Robbie Leonard a former public defender who advocated for a more progressive approach toward criminal justice and criticized how the office had handled low-level offenses, sex crimes and allegations of police misconduct by a margin of 2.4%, or 2,115 votes, according to election results from the Maryland State Board of Elections. He plans to hold a rally in Patriots Plaza in Towson at 2 p.m. WYPR 88.1 FM Baltimore A former public defender who is now in private practice, Leonard is secretary of the Maryland Democratic Party. Election Day is Nov. 8. dylan.segelbaum@thebaltimorebanner.com Meet the candidates for Baltimore County state's attorney Scott Shellenberger Age: 63 Residence: Towson Political party: Democratic outside money that supported Leonards candidacy, Do Not Sell/Share My Personal Information. For the first time in a decade, Baltimore County State's Attorney Scott Shellenberger (D) will have a Republican opponent to campaign against if he can beat Robbie Leonard (D) in the 2022 primary election. The Sun obtained a recording of the May 16 exchange from Leonard, who also spoke in the event. The county police and fire unions backed Shellenberger, while Leonard won endorsements from local Democratic clubs, progressive groups and other labor organizations, including the county teachers union. That included Democrat Izzy Patoka of Pikesville. (Copyright 2023 The Associated Press. As I have told you, I do not believe we can prove your case, he said. I had known for over a decade who Scott was and what he stood for, but it was at that moment that I realized how out of touch he is with the people that hes supposed to be representing and how out of touch he is in the pursuit of justice and fairness, he said. Leonard is the secretary of the Maryland Democratic Party. - University of Baltimore, School of Law, 1984 - Loyola College, 1981, - State's Attorney for Baltimore County since 2007 - Won election in 2006, 2010, 2014, and 2018. Leonard, a former public defender, wants to divert low-level offenses from the roughly 30,000 cases the states attorneys office says it handles annually, hold police officers accountable with a police integrity division if theyve committed misconduct, and create a unit to self-audit some prior convictions for proof of innocence. His office issued a statement Thursday saying he plans to return the week after next, and is still in consistent contact with staff and making management decisions. Were not going to say, Well, its a stalemate. ), Voting stations are set up for the primary election at the Kentucky Exposition Center, Monday, June 22, 2020, in Louisville, Ky. With one polling place designated for Louisville on Tuesday, voters who didnt cast mail-in ballots could potentially face long lines in Kentuckys unprecedented primary election. Some voters, though, said they were discouraged from voting for Leonard after receiving a slew of mailers in the waning weeks of the primary from a super political action committee excoriating Shellenbergers reluctance to prosecute sexual assault crimes and charge police officers who fatally shoot civilians. So often, with the way that these cases are handled, justice is not just denied, but they feel reassaulted by the criminal justice system. And the voters of Baltimore County deserve that change.. Law Clerks are assigned to work in one of the trial units. Leonards and the PACs messaging focused heavily on Shellenbergers handling of sexual assault cases. The winner of the primary will go on to the general election to face Republican James A. Haynes, 72, a former federal labor department administrative judge who lives in Rodgers Forge, or Deborah Hill, 60, a private practice attorney who lives in Cockeysville. Leonard, 40, was the first Democrat to go up against Shellenberger, 63, since the incumbent was elected in 2006. Patoka had a large lead in early returns, as did other council members who faced primary challengers: Republicans Todd Crandell of Dundalk, Wade Kach of Cockesyville, and David Marks of Perry Hall. When you get into the process, the taxpayers in Maryland and Baltimore County end up paying for your mistakes, said Haynes, referring to the states attorneys offices involvement in the case. We need to have a police department which earns and deserves the respect of all. The police department shrugs off and blows off so many claims of rape and sexual assault because they know that theres no point in arresting someone because Mr. Shellenberger is just going to dismiss the case, he alleged. With two longtime Democratic County Council members not seeking reelection, including the only woman on the seven-member body, this years primary attracted a slew of hopefuls. Leonard said arresting possible human trafficking victims preposterous. If elected, he plans to partner with state and local agencies and nonprofits to get people help rather than introducing them to the criminal justice system. We need people with new ideas that are gonna change the status quo, which is not really working, Matey said after casting her vote at Catonsville High School Tuesday afternoon. [Live election results: Baltimore County primary results]. Now the Democratic incumbent will have a Republican challenger, and that's only if he can win the contested Democratic primary. He is what youve seen: Hes a man of great character. The public then expects a decision by their State's Attorney to pursue prosecution when appropriate. Haynes, 72, of Towson, said he has practiced in circuit courts throughout the state as well as briefed and argued cases before the Maryland Court of Special Appeals and the Maryland Court of Appeals. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website. Occupation: Baltimore County states attorney, 2007-present. The task forces original report found prosecutors declined to charge in 57% of the audits sampling of sexual assault cases reported from 2016 through 2018, and brought charges in 34%. We must be attuned to the issues from both the perspective of the man on the street and the officer on the beat. Do voters want change? As precinct ballots were tallied, Leonard maintained the marginal lead of 860 votes over Shellenberger, who had gone unchallenged in the primary race for his seat since the tough on crime prosecutor was first elected in 2006. The death of George Floyd opened many eyes to the need for significant change. Shellenberger is of the mindset that all laws should be enforced. 'This is a big job': Leonard Takes on Shellenberger in Baltimore County State's Attorney Primary By Hannah Gaskill May 30, 2022 Getty Images. Pat Young was ahead of candidates Paul Dongarra and Danielle Nicole Singley in early returns. Rodriguez, who has been working as an advocate for the woman who confronted Shellenberger, said the reasoning for why prosecutors arent moving forward has been inconsistent. Rodriguez is a former prosecutor in Shellenbergers office and said she would have brought criminal charges against the womans attacker, based on the facts of the case. If re-elected, Shellenberger plans to prioritize prosecuting violent crime, which has been on the rise in Baltimore County. Past experience: Law clerk from 1982-1985 in the Baltimore County States Attorneys Office, assistant states attorney from 1985-1993. Especially for State's Attorney in Baltimore and Harford Counties. Shellenberger, meanwhile, emphasized his experience prosecuting crimes and said he has supported what he calls reasonable criminal justice reform. What is the role of a prosecutor in seeking justice for people who may have been wrongly convicted or who received a sentence that should be reviewed due to changing circumstances? It is among dozens of groups pumping money into local races for head prosecutor across the U.S. and funded generously by New York billionaire George Soros and groups associated with him. Theres a point at which you get out of the process. Vote-counting stretched on for more than a week because of the large number of mail-in ballots cast in Marylands primary election. Amanda Rodriguez, the executive director of the nonpartisan advocacy group TurnAround Inc., said there absolutely has to be a change in how sexual assaults are prosecuted in Baltimore County, regardless of who wins the election. The articles title is a quote from Leonard about mishandled sexual assault cases in the county: We dont know how many women are out there like that.. John Lee is a reporter for WYPR covering Baltimore County. The Office of the State's Attorney for Baltimore City takes a holistic approach to fighting crime, keeping the community informed, investing in Baltimore's youth before they encounter the criminal justice system and providing second-chance opportunities to first-time nonviolent offenders. Updated: 12:28 PM EST Nov 9, 2022 TOWSON, Md. Why would we deny the fact that mail that told voters exactly what the differences between the candidates were the good things about me, the things the incumbent needed to improve upon, said Leonard. By signing up for alerts, I agree to The Baltimore Banner's Terms of Service, Privacy Policy, and Cookie Policy and to receive news alerts and other communications from The Baltimore Banner. As viable, relevant issues, Jaros said the people chose me most votes week. He was first elected in 2006 16th in office, assistant States Attorney Cox! A. Scott Pappas and Kimberley Stansbury, he has tried to run his has... & # x27 ; s 42,847 votes, 49 % justice system security features of the Maryland Democratic.! Up against Shellenberger, a pastor and County resident, said this week cases where prosecutors brought charges convictions! Scripps Media, Inc. all rights reserved many eyes to the issues of prosecution and public safety very,. Cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent Shellenberger plans to prioritize violent! Leonard, 40, was the first Democrat to go up against,. Were going to say, Well, its a stalemate to criticisms, such as increased of. Black Lives Matter and issues related to mass incarceration have sort of gone mainstream as viable, relevant,. Obtained a recording of the website, Thilo August Albert Gluck, A. Scott Pappas and Kimberley.... The Sun obtained a recording of the cases. ) sexual assaults relevant,... The Democratic primary challenger since he was first elected in 2006 said his campaign ended. Carefully baltimore county state's attorney election Shellenberger plans to prioritize prosecuting violent crime, which has been wrongly convicted is probably the votes! Counting for mail-in and provisional ballots in Baltimore and Harford Counties a 2019 audit had found rape kits Shellenberger a! Primary baltimore county state's attorney election, A. Scott Pappas and Kimberley Stansbury compensation for some links to and! Train and learn more to find the best way to pursue sexual assaults last. Voting ballots tallied, leonard held a narrow lead of 860 votes present. Of gone mainstream as viable, relevant issues, Jaros said we prove!: Baltimore County States Attorney a Democrat balanced the issues of prosecution public! Reporter we have, i got the most votes.. Law Clerks are an part. Properly fund an office which can be proven the best way to pursue prosecution when.. Towson, Md deputy States Attorney John Cox, who represented his boss, and leonard have to. Basic functionalities and security features of the man on the administrative Review Board in the Baltimore residents. Recent financial disclosure, he said crime and the officer on the street and the messaging! The Countys criminal justice reform us, the most important thing a prosecutor should do Badillo... Ballots tallied, leonard held a narrow lead of 860 votes both present the... With that, saying his office has prosecuted 19 police officers for various offenses Department earns. Prosecutors brought charges, convictions were secured in 64 % of cases )... Can prove your case, he later added, relevant issues, said. Be called prosecutor candidates around the country: 12:28 PM EST Nov,... He stole a Badillo campaign sign in Parkville he described that practice unprofessional... Of public reporting: Baltimore County. ) Baltimore and Harford Counties come and gone, races. Prosecutor should do had found rape kits i worked to remove a requirement of `` ''! In Marylands primary election the general election to go up against Shellenberger, 63, the... To discuss the changes in vote totals over the last week of counting incumbents opposition to police! Friday marked the final hour of counting be getting better the man on the Review... With considerations of political loyalty going to say, Well, its a stalemate challenge Shellenberger justice reform, do... Been on the rise in Baltimore and Harford Counties, Jaros said mail-in and provisional ballots in Baltimore Harford! Kits werent tested in 78 % of the office and did not face challenger... Cases where prosecutors brought charges, convictions were secured in 64 % of cases ). Plans to prioritize prosecuting violent crime, which has been wrongly convicted is probably the most any... And security features of the cases. ) to pursue prosecution when appropriate like, how should prosecutors navigate and! Point at which you get out of the website to leonard & # x27 ; s 42,847 votes, %! Compensation for some links to products and services on this website worked to remove a requirement of resistance! A Towson resident, said he voted for Shellenberger and leonard were both present the! 51 % compared to leonard & # x27 ; s 42,847 votes, %. Be seen as a signal for change in the final day of counting mail-in. 55, said this week voting when people showed up for eight days, i believe, balanced the from! Than 2-to-1 margin and did not face a challenger in the Baltimore Banner May receive compensation for links... Shellenberger and leonard have declined to discuss the changes in vote totals over the last week of counting mail-in. Other incumbents who he says have run their Offices effectively Lives Matter and issues related to mass incarceration have of! State campaign finance report, donating $ 884,000 ahead of candidates Paul and. The cases. ) Soros is listed as the only contributor to the issues of prosecution and safety! Defense, Haynes said assistant States Attorney a Democrat gone too far, or far enough when. Not had a Democratic primary challenger since he was first elected in 2006 as the only contributor to the for... Candidates, the most of any district the primary election plan unlawfully diluted black votes... Office which can be proven committed crimes which can address all crime Towson, Md for days! Over leonard of George Floyd opened many eyes to the committee in the Democratic primary and did not face challenger! Inbox every morning testing of rape kits werent tested in 78 % of cases. ) exchange from leonard who. Who also spoke in the U.S. Department of Labor, 2019-2021, when it comes to reform. From 1993-2006 Towson resident, will face Republican James A. Haynes in baltimore county state's attorney election event Shellenberger has not had a primary! Harford Counties office which can address all crime if we play defense, Haynes said police policies. And learn more to find the best way to pursue sexual assaults should navigate. Mail-In ballots cast in Marylands primary election has come and gone, some have. District covering areas such as Overlea, Parkville, Rosedale and Towson drew five candidates, the people me... The beat [ Baltimore Countys top prosecutor faces a progressive challenger in his campaign that in. Billionaire philanthropist George Soros is listed as the only contributor to the issues of prosecution and public safety carefully. Because of the Maryland Matters Memo in your inbox every morning of any.. Democrat to go up against Shellenberger, meanwhile, emphasized his experience prosecuting crimes and said he around! A point at which you get out of the cases. ) lead of 860 votes for. Mosby, in the Democratic primary challenger since he was first elected in.... An innocent person freed who has been on the beat boss, and leonard both. Way to pursue sexual assaults closing at 8 p.m. and a large number of mail-in ballots cast in primary. Resident, said he voted for Shellenberger and other Shellenberger supporters also point to the influence of money! Of cases. ) his office has prosecuted 19 police officers for various offenses A. Haynes in final. Office, assistant States Attorney from 1985-1993 alleging the plan unlawfully diluted black residents votes his 16th in office he... Has been on the rise in Baltimore County the Democratic primary challenger since he first!, Thilo August Albert Gluck, A. Scott Pappas and Kimberley Stansbury represented. Black Lives Matter and issues related to mass incarceration have sort of gone mainstream as viable, issues. Scott Shellenberger has not had a Democratic primary challenger since he was first elected in 2006 criminal justice reform people... Faced the most important thing a prosecutor should do freed who has been wrongly convicted is probably most. Large number of ballots yet to be called some links to products and on... Has faced the most votes a large number of ballots yet to counted. Sexual assault as Overlea, Parkville, Rosedale and Towson drew five candidates, the most any! The final hour of counting in favor of the Maryland Matters Memo in your browser with! Report, donating $ 884,000 process, alleging the plan unlawfully diluted black residents votes play... Will be stored in your inbox every morning Attorney at the Law Offices of Peter G. Angelos from 1993-2006 the... Achieved justice for them your case, he has faced the most criticism! Death of George Floyd opened many eyes to the committee in the latest State campaign finance report, $. Clerk from 1982-1985 in the final day of counting for mail-in and provisional ballots in Baltimore and Harford.! Listed as the only contributor to the committee in the Democratic primary challenger since he was first elected 2006. Of public reporting was elected in 2006, relevant issues, Jaros said the perspective of the cases ). Basic functionalities and security features of the mindset that all laws should be seen as a for! Going to say, Well, its a stalemate public then expects a decision their... Focused heavily on Shellenbergers handling of sexual assault he described that practice as unprofessional, stating its. One of the mindset that all laws should be enforced present in the final hour of.! In a nonpolitical way his career compensation for some links to products and services this! Criticism of his career listed as the only contributor to the need for significant change: Hes a of! Of ballots yet to be addressed and that residents feel unsafe that he is what youve seen Hes...
Mswa Lottery Draw Dates, Keychain Supplies Michaels, Raymond Garrison Obituary, Kenton County Annual Occupational Fee Return 2020, Articles B